I haven't blogged in a while. Couldn't resist on this one.
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹ!I
This is a local North American matter. We don't need to look to Akal Takhat for this. Reminds me of a speech of the Late Baba Jarnail Singh where he said something to the effect of "Someone is raping your sisters in broad daylight, someone is blatantly disrespecting your Guru Ganth Sahib and you are asking - "Babaji please give us the hukam"... What kind of hukam do you need from a Babaji - isn't it logical what you need to do?".
Similar is the case here. Haumai intoxicated neo-masands have created a mockery of the Darbar of the Guru and people are trying to figure out what we should do. "...isn't it logical what we need to do?"
Facebook discussion and other blogs have rightfully pointed out that there are only two major reasons why this is happening. 1) Money and 2) Caste affiliation.
So I think that the North American Sikh community should come together (in the form of a united front of different organizations like WSC-AR, AGPC, Sikh Coalition, Saldef, United Sikhs, SikhRI, SYANA other gurduaras, camps, youth groups) and demand the following from the Sikh sangat of North America as well as the members of this Makhan Shah Lobana Gurduara and its management. It would be sort of a "sandesh from Misl Amrika to all Guru Nanak Nam Leva Sikhs of the region":
1. All Guru Nanak Nam leva Sikhs to immediately stop providing any funds (even matha tek in the golak) at Makhan Shah Lobana Gurduara of Richmond Hill, NY.
2. Immediate declaration of a "sangat sanctioned" tankhaia (as mentioned no need to go to Akal Takhat for this - this is a local matter) to all those arrested as well as the current and previous members of the management.
a. As a condition of revoking their tankhah each member should wear a garland of shoes and sit outside on the sidewalk of the Gurduara in full view of public for 8 hours a day for 30 days
b. They should read, recite and introspect on the bani of Guru Granth Sahib for 2 hours a day
c. Personally contribute $100 a day for 30 days to homeless shelters in the NYC area.
3. This sandesh demands that the management of Makhan Shah Lobana Gurduara immediately take out 10% of the funds that they have in the bank or golak and distribute it in cash or kind to homeless shelters across New York City - immediately.
4. Additional 10% of funds must be distributed immediately in equal portions to the top three Sikh organizations operating in the New York area - 5 well established, non-aligned members of the community (Panj Piare) can decide which those organizations will be.
5. Demand that on an ongoing basis 15% of the annual Gurduara budget be used for educational purposes - scholarships, Khalsa school class activities/curriculum, etc. Also to be decided by 5 well established and non-aligned members of the community (Panj Piare).
6. Finally - all Guru Nanak Nam Leva Sikhs of the New York Region should join a campaign to drop their last-name or caste-affiliation in a public and legal manner - flood the local courts with name change documents. Within 3 months time 50% of the population of Sikh families in New York area should be caste-affiliation/last-name free and only have Singh for males and Kaur for female.
Something like this is what will start to bring a halt to this despicable behavior. Who is up to make this happen?